Friday, February 13, 2009

It looks like I finally did it; I was...too smart?

You know, I kind of forgot that everything you go through in life involving women will be invariably picked apart, scrutinized and analyzed by several other women in your life. The amount of women who will perform this scourging, and the thoroughness of it, all depends on the event. If it is a first date, you can expect scrutiny from immediate family. Third date, women from more traditional families will be making wedding plans. Friends and members of less traditional families will wait until date #5 for that.
But a break-up of any kind is covered by every single woman you have ever known. Everything is copacetic, until the split, and then women to whom you have not spoken in years suddenly appear on the radar again, going "You should have known better than to take her to McDonald's for Valentine's Day."
Then follows the list of your faults, usually rattled off while you're trying to watch TV. But in my case, I recently got a little something different. I got the single most double-edged compliment in the history of double-edged compliments.
A friend of the family informed her conduit within the family that I was "intellectually intimidating".
Yes. I lost points for being TOO interesting.
If I were anyone else, that would be my cue to crawl under a rock with a decent book because how do you fix a "problem" like that? Take dull pills? Fortunately (unfortunately?) for me, I am a completely stubborn ass, and this crippling flaw in my genetic makeup didn't phase me. Other people, on being informed they were too damn smart, might sink into despair or the bottle, but not me. I AM A GOD DAMN ROCK.
Of course, I've been aware for a good long while of the schism between the way guys think and the way girls think. Girls do not want solutions to the problems and situations presented to guys, which is real bad because most guys badly want to solve everything. It's genetic: if there is something guys can't fix, then that means some other guy out there has a bigger...brain...than they do.
This is, of course, kind of pathetic.
So, of course, I always do it.
In all fairness, I must say that the person who informed me my relationships do not last because I'm too smart (it sounds like I must be exaggerating, but despite the fact that I do indeed possess a healthy ego, I am not) did so out of consideration. She beleives I should date women of equal or greater intelligence than myself, and she's probably right. Only someone smart enough to understand that I'm not the genius I think I am could possibly put up with that for long.
I want to add something to all this: I'm not trying to be an arrogant ass (I don't have to try, it sort of comes naturally). I beleive more or less everyone has an equal level of mental capability. I beleive the difference between "smart" and "not smart" isn't in capability, but in usage. Most people you meet tend to not use the majority of their intelligence. I think it's a warped attempt to fit in.
Me, I look around at what there generally is to fit in with, and think, "why would anyone do this horrible thing?" But that's me.
The laws of probabilities would tell me that somewhere out there is someone who fits the intellignce level my unrequested shrink beleives my relationships require. And the laws of irony would tell me that should I find her, I'll almost invariably find her annoying as hell. What the hell, right? I always did love a good ironic ending.

No comments: