Friday, January 9, 2009

Plague of Thieves

So Adam and I recently decided one of our works-in-progress actually has a very good chance at seeing the light of day. It's called Plague of Thieves, but I'm not going to describe it in any more detail because I beleive in curses. Hopefully the time will come soon when I won't have to discuss it, because you'll be able to read it.
We're taking advantage of a submissions process that seems much less restrictive than those I've wrestled with before, and I find the prospect of a success has the same effect on me it always has: anticipation. The prospect is still somewhat faint; there are still more odds against it than for (although it is too good a thing not to be made eventually).
I don't anticpate potential success because I want to see my name in lights or because I want a paycheck, even though any author who tells you they have no interest in those things is a liar or an idiot. Of course those things sound appealing, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to be too well known, even if I could be. I don't really know. I do know that the idea of seeing something I've worked on actually come into existence is what fuels my anticipatory feelings. With HOPE: New Orleans (in which I had a short story published among many other good ones; check it out if ever you can), I learned that I don't really care about money; it was just a thrill to see something I worked hard on there, on the page.

1 comment:

Anansi(Kedd) said...

Good luck with your product. Seeing an idea take shape and become tangible is one of the best feelings in the world to me and I hope everyone can feel that way in their lives. I look forward to your success